English Communications September Moderation
NORTHERN MODERATION MEETING
Attached are three sample student answers to the three questions in Section C of the mid-year examination, one for each module.
- English Comms – Sample A – Imagining Australia
- English Comms – Sample B – Telling Truths
- English Comms – Sample C – Belonging
Before you attend the meeting teachers are asked to read and assess the samples on criterion 5 using the “2015 Written Paper Marking Guidelines” with the addition of another dot point to accommodate the changed nature of the examination in 2016 which requires students to make connections with two prescribed texts.
Suggested wording for the additional dot point is:
- A – makes insightful connections to two set texts.
- B – makes strong connections to two set texts.
- C – makes some connections to two set texts.
- D– does not make connections to two set texts.
If possible teachers should mark the samples independently and then in schools/colleges with more than one teacher collaborate to determine a consensus rating for all teachers at that institution.
Some time will be available at the meeting to reread the samples before we discuss them.
SOUTHERN MODERATION MEETING
The assessment criterion: C5
Model for September Meeting:
- Midyear examination questions developed in advance by three specified schools and shared with teachers.
- Samples developed from these questions in advance by three specified schools and teachers mark at September meeting.
Process and time frames
- Three schools volunteered to share Mid-Year Examination Questions, these were sent to English Managers on the May 3, 2016.
- Three schools volunteered to provide electronic/ scanned copies of samples enabling assessment of C5 for Belonging, Telling Truths and Imagining Australia Modules in preparation for the September Meeting
- Samples by three nominated schools sent to Lisa Davies by 5.00 Friday 15 of August 2016.Phone: 03 61655770 e: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please contact Lisa Davies if there are any points of concern that require clarification.
- It was agreed at the Southern English Communications March Meeting that teachers would share Midyear Examination Questions that could additionally be used as a resource.
- This have been kindly developed by Matt Preston, Jay Wheeler and Naomi Colbeck and I would like to thank them for taking the time to develop and share these resources, I am sure they will be of value and appreciated.
- Additionally I would like to state, that however teachers choose to design and/or share midyear examination papers and assessment rubrics, please remember that the source of truth for the final examination is the course document and the examination specifications.