2020 December Professional Learning Program – Save the Date
Hear from leading educators and experts, engage with the Years 9 to 12 Project team, VET specialists and Curriculum Leaders, and be empowered to plan for the future.
Audience: All Years 9 to 12 School Leaders and Teachers including VET and Vocational Learning teachers.
Dates: The program will be partially mirrored across two pairs of days 3 & 4 and 7 & 8 December.
This gives schools flexibility in when they engage. For example your school may engage on the 3 & 4 December or the 7 & 8 December (or alternatively the 3 & 8 December or 4 & 7 December).
Program: An online professional learning experience that explores three key themes for the Years 9 to 12 Project, including:
- Why: the case for change – the evolving social, educational and global landscape told through the words of leading educators.
- How: the levers for change – how the Years 9 to 12 Project is enabling transformation through structural approaches to curriculum, assessment and pedagogy, vocational learning (including VET), the use of data and workforce support.
- What: the implications for delivery – what change can look like at a school level for students, for teachers, and for school leaders; how newly designed courses support the big ideas that inform teaching, learning and assessment; how schools can be supported by the newly developed Vocational Learning Framework and associated Requirements and Guidelines; and how school communities can plan for personalised, customised and localised delivery suited to their unique context.
Meetings will be held online and will be recorded, where possible. Opportunities for school-based reflection and discussion will also be built into the program. Further details about this event will be forwarded in early Term 4.
Online Professional Learning
Years 9 – 12 Learning is co-ordinating professional learning opportunities for Tasmanian teachers who have Year 11 and 12 classes undertaking TASC and VET accredited courses.
Years 11 and 12 TASC Curriculum Professional Learning
The Office of TASC and Years 9-12 Learning are working collaboratively to consider the impact of the current situation on learning for students undertaking TASC courses in 2020. Support for teachers and students at this time is critical to the successful continuity of learning. More information can be found on the TASC 2020 Course Considerations and 2020 External assessment adjustments webpages.
Additional professional learning is available in the following focus sessions:
- Years 11 and 12 Learning Area sessions provide an opportunity to share experiences, expertise and collaboratively respond to teaching and learning needs in 2020.
Years 11 and 12 VET Curriculum Professional Learning
A VET teacher consultation process was recently undertaken to acknowledge and confirm the risks associated with VET delivery and assessment during the COVID-19 pandemic, with particular reference to Term 2, whilst students are Learning from Home. More information can be found on the VET Risk Analysis Summary and Recommendations page.
Additional professional learning is available in the following focus sessions:
- Years 11 and 12 VET Industry Links sessionsprovide an opportunity to share experiences and expertise around the challenges and opportunities that have emerged over recent months and continue to impact industry areas.
Using Canvas and Office365 to support learning
- Develop understanding and/skills in the use of Canvas and Office365 to support learning.
Access to recordings of past webinars and additional resources is available through the Learning at home page on the Teaching and Learning Centre website.
The Arts – Years 11 and 12 Learning Area Sessions
Health and Physical Education
Health and Physical Education – Years 11 and 12 Learning Area Sessions
Humanities and Social Sciences
Humanities and Social Sciences – Years 11 and 12 Learning Area Sessions
These sessions are designed to provide a platform for the HASS Professional Community to respond collaboratively to changing needs in 2020. There is also an option to develop additional and complimentary teacher-initiated HASS PL sessions. Please contact the Curriculum Leader with proposals; by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the relevant HASS Team site.
Languages – Years 11 and 12 Learning Area Sessions
Reading Comprehension Skills: have we missed anything? – Tuesday 15 September 2020 3:30pm – 4:15pm
Mathematics – Years 11 and 12 Learning Area Sessions
Science – Years 11 and 12 Learning Area Sessions
These sessions will focus on workshopping strategies to respond to identified teacher and learner needs for the remainder of the 2020, such as:
- Pedagogical responses to the changed circumstances of this year
- Working towards equity of access for learners within and between schools
- Maintaining quality of assessment within and between schools
Technologies – Years 11 and 12 Learning Area Sessions
VET Industry Links Sessions
Recordings of the following Vet Industry Links sessions are available through the respective Teams site.
Aged Care and Community Services – Thursday 18 June 2020 3:30pm – 4:00pm
Agriculture, Horticulture and Animal Studies – Tuesday 16 June 2020 3:30pm – 4:00pm
Aquaculture and Maritime – Thursday 25 June 2020 3:30pm – 4:00pm
Automotive – Wednesday 17 June 2020 3:30pm – 4:00pm
Beauty – Monday 29 June 2020 3:30pm – 4:00pm
Construction – Monday 15 June 2020 3:30pm – 4:00pm
Disability – Monday 22 June 2020 3:30pm – 4:00pm
Early Childhood Education & Care – Thursday 11 June 2020 3:30pm – 4:00pm
Electrotechnology – Wednesday 24 June 2020 3:30pm – 4:00pm
Hairdressing – Tuesday 9 June 2020 3:30pm – 4:00pm
Hospitality – Wednesday 10 June 2020 3:30pm – 4:00pm
Tourism – Tuesday 23 June 2020 3:30pm – 4:00pm
Online Communities of Practice
Years 9 to 12 Learning has established a number of Microsoft Teams sites for teachers of Years 11 and 12 students. The intention of these Teams sites is to provide a space that will allow you as teachers to collaborate and develop a community of practice across sectors, and share resources and ideas with your peers working in similar learning areas.
The content found on these Teams sites is just a starting point, with content increasingly driven by the teaching community, sharing resources that you find most effective in supporting your students learning from home. The following outlines the Teams sites that have been established.
Full list of Teams sites available:
Teams sites for TASC courses include
- Health and Physical Education
- HASS – Economics and Business
- HASS – Behavioural
- HASS – Civics and Citizenship
- HASS – History and Geography
- Maths – Essential, Workplace, Everyday and Preliminary
- Maths – General Maths
- Maths – Specialised and Methods
- Mixed Field
- Science – Natural Sciences
- Science – Physical Sciences
- Technologies – Agriculture
- Technologies – Design
- Technologies – Digital
- Technologies – Foods
- The Arts – Dance
- The Arts – Drama
- The Arts – Media Arts
- The Arts – Music
- The Arts – Visual Arts
Teams sites for VET subjects include
- Agriculture, Horticulture and Animal Studies
- Applied Fashion, Retail Services, ICT and Business, Creative Arts
- Automotive and Engineering Pathways
- Community Services and Health
- Construction and Furniture
- Foundation Skills
- Hairdressing and Beauty
- Hospitality / Kitchen Operations
- Sport, Fitness and Recreation, and Defence
Accessing these Teams sites
If you are a DoE teacher, please access join codes and instructions.
If you are a teacher from the Catholic or Independent sector you need to have an email address associated with a Microsoft Office 365 account. If your school email address is already linked with an Office 365 account, please register. If you don’t have an email address linked to an Office 365 account, please create an account first and then register. More help on MS Teams is available at the Microsoft Education Centre.